
Thursday, April 10, 2008 I woke up with contractions at about 1:00 AM. They were very far apart and not very strong. We had had a false alarm on Sunday so I just figured that was what it was. I didn't even wake Zach to tell him. I just tried to go back to sleep. By the time Zach got up for work that morning they were coming at about 15 minute intervals. Still not strong. I wasn't sure what was going on. Zach and I decided he should just go to work and I would go to my regularly scheduled appointment with Michelle, my midwife, at 9:00 AM that day and we would see what was going on. As the morning wore on the contractions began to spread apart again. I began to try to tell myself that this wasn't it. When I got to my appointment Michelle checked me and I was only 2 centimeters. She said I wasn't in labor. She stripped my membranes (she had done this the previous week as well and it did nothing) to try to stimulate more contractions and said that maybe later today I would be in active labor. My mom and I drove home and I was so disappointed. I was so ready to have Gavin and be done being pregnant. My mom and I went back to my house and put Tristan down for a nap. We put on a movie and just tried to pass the time. Our plan was to do some serious walking when Tristan woke up to try to help things along. While watching the movie I decided to stand and squat some to see if that would help bring on any contractions. Sure enough they started to come about 11:00. They were coming every 3 to 5 minutes and lasting between 45 - 60 seconds long. At about 11:25 I turned to my Mom and told her I thought it was go time and we needed to start making arrangements for Tristan. I called Zach and told him that we would probably be heading to the birth center in about 30 minutes and I would call him when we were on our way. My mom and I dropped Tristan off for my Aunt to watch him and headed to the birth center and Zach left from school to meet us there.
We got there around 1:30. Lynn, the other midwife at the center, check me when I arrived and I was already between 6 and 7 centimeters dilated. I was a little surprised. I couldn't believe I had gone through that much labor. It had been totally manageable. The first thing I ask when I knew I was that far along was could I get in the tub. They had had a birth earlier in the morning and said if I waited a few minutes I could be in the nicer birth room once they got it cleaned up. I was good with that. Zach and I got some food from my mom and hung out in the other birth room for a little while before we got in the tub. The tub was amazing. It was so relaxing to be in there while my body was working so hard. Zach was amazing as well. He was just the support I needed to do this without pain medication. Knowing he was there with me and supporting me was all I needed.
My mom and sister came into visit once while I was in the tub. I didn't talk because I was very much in the zone and working with my body to stay relaxed and calm so it could do what it needed to do. Lynn kept telling me I was one of the most relaxed women in labor she had ever seen. The hypnobirthing class Zach and I took really helped me to achieve this relaxed state and work with my contractions.
I was in the tub until I was almost complete. I got out and into the bed to finish my labor and push. My water hadn't broken yet and when it did it sort of shot out all over Lynn. Zach was a little surprised and asked her if that was normal. She reacted calmly and reassured Zach it was completely normal. She said she usually does a better job of anticipating it, but it was fine.
The last bit of my pushing was the hardest part of the whole thing. Gavin's head was partially out two contractions before he was all they way out. But once he did come out all of that was forgotten and I had my amazing little boy on my stomach. Zach caught him when he came out and then he was placed on me. Gavin came out crying before his entire body was even out. He was letting us know his place in our little family:).
My total labor ended up being 5 hours and 35 minutes.
During the entire labor Michelle and Lynn were such an amazing support. They kept telling me how beautiful I was and how amazing I was doing. They were awesome!!!
My mom and Lindsey came into visit about 15 minutes after Gavin was born. It was so nice to have them there to share in the experience with us. They also went out and got us dinner:)
The entire experience was one that Zach and I will never forget. It was so amazing and beautiful to share together. We will definitely delivery any future children at Heart 2 Heart birth center as well. Nothing could compare to this experience.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Allison's Birth Experience
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Al, thanks for sharing this story! I am so proud of you and thankful that you had such a terrific experience!
Post a Comment