CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 21, 2008

Allison's Excitement at 35 weeks 4 days




I came home from work yesterday and picked Tristan up from my parents house. When I got home with Tristan I started to get stuff together to make dinner. I was going to make a dish that required sliced potatoes. I decided I would use my food processor so I could get the job done easier. I don't know how many of you have used a food processor before, but they are designed fairly well so you don't cut yourself on the sharp rotating blades. Well, that is if they are used properly. Let just say that I wasn't using mine properly. I was cutting the potatoes and my middle finger on my right hand hit the blade. I tried to remain calm. I immediately ran it under water and grabbed a paper towel to wrap it up in. I got my phone and ran to find Tristan (He was in our bathroom pulling toilet paper off the role and putting it in the toilet). I grabbed him up and called Zach. He said he would leave work right away, but it would take him 30 minutes to get home. I told him that was ok. I would call my mom and see if she could help until he got there since she is only about 10 minutes away. I called her about 4 times and it kept going straight to voice mail. I decided to run across the street with Tristan and see if our neighbors (Keith and Kay) were home. I can't tell you how glad I was when Kay answered the door. I had Tristan on my left hip and my right hand all wrapped up over my head. I told Kay I was in need of some emergency assistance and I couldn't get a hold of my mom and I needed a Mom's help. She brought me inside and reassured me that both she and Keith had a lot of experience with cuts having raised 3 kids of their own. Keith washed out my cut and said he didn't think I would need stitches. I got a little light headed during the whole process of Keith examining the cut and cleaning it. They let me lay on their couch and got me a wet rag for my head and a glass of water. They let me hang out at their house with Tristan until Zach came home. Zach came home and was helping with Tristan and I kind of had a bit of a panic attach when I didn't think the bleeding had stopped in my finger. I called my mom and she and my sister came right over to help Zach and I. My mom and Zach looked at my finger and we decided that it would be best for me to go to Centra Care to have it looked at. My mom and Lindsey took Tristan home with them and Zach and I ran to the Centra Care that is only 10 minutes from our house. One benefit to being as pregnant as I am is they didn't make us wait at all. They took us right back. After the doctor examined the cut they decided it was too broad to stitch or even put steri strips on. They cleaned it really well and wrapped it up really well. Of course during this whole process I got very light headed and almost passed out. There were like three nurses in the room making sure I was ok and wasn't going to go into labor. They said they were prepared to deliver a baby, but had never done it there. We were all glad that didn't happen while I was there:-).
Zach and I have talked about the fact that I am just kind of a reckless person with my driving and such and it just seems to get worse when I am pregnant. When I was pregnant with Tristan I hit a parked car and stabbed my nose with a knife (a story for another time). With this pregnancy I backed into a parked car (the damage was almost nothing this time) and cut my finger in the food processor. I am thinking it might not be safe for me and other parked cars if I were to get pregnant again:-)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a story! I'm glad everything is okay. Keith and Kay are GREAT, aren't they?!

And don't feel bad about the food processor. A very similar thing happened to my mom and it's a defect with the machine. I don't remember all the details, but my sister wrote the company and they issued a new machine and gave free stuff (something happened with the blade...I forget what it is).

All that is to say, i'm glad you're okay!!